3 September 2014

Crappy Christian, Crappy Buddhist

I could not talk to you as spiritual people, but as fleshly people, as infants in Christ. I fed you milk, not solid food, because you were unable to take it. Indeed, you are still not able, even now, for you are still of the flesh. While there is jealousy and rivalry among you, are you not of the flesh, and walking according to the manner of man?

... neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who causes the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive wages in proportion to his labor. For we are God’s co-workers; you are God’s field, God’s building (1 Corinthians 3:1-9)

God's building is feeling a bit rundown. Wages are frittered away. While faith takes place in the mind, as a co-worker tilling the land of phenomena, I'm distracted. Jesus said that to love God and love one's neighbours is perfection, I ask myself  "What then is love? Especially, who is this co-worker who is asked to choose love if he is to perfect life?"

The Buddha taught that there is a way leading to the end of suffering. As 'fleshy people' he taught ethical discipline and effort and meditation as a means of liberation: an 8-fold path. Practical stuff. By knowing the mind and controlling its tyranny of fears, infatuations, lusts and ignorance, one can grow to choose as a spiritual man, with wisdom and compassion, and not remain wallowing in a fleshy suffering.

Jesus shows us this, too, again and again and again, as he does, so shall I. This is his promise. This is the light of hope. This is the peace found in his Father's grace. This is the trust in the deathless. Heady stuff for a simple co-worker.

And when this co-worker's field I'd turned and furrowed and seeded and watered, there can be growth... Nay, there shall be growth! As the sun also rises (thanks EH), so shall I, first on my own two feet. Then standing, with the same discipline and effort that a baby finally walks, I can know the truth of Love. Not in any lesser fleshy sense, but in the True sense, namely, loving God, loving brother, loving the spiritual man I AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment