11 August 2014

Solomon’s Respect for Wisdom

Therefore I prayed, and understanding was given me; I called upon the Dhamma, and the spirit of wisdom came to me. I preferred her to scepters and thrones, and I accounted wealth as nothing in comparison with her. Neither did I liken to her any priceless gem, because all gold is but a little sand in her sight, and silver will be accounted as clay before her. I loved her more than health and beauty,
and I chose to have her rather than light, because her radiance never ceases.

All good things came to me along with her, and in her hands uncounted wealth. I rejoiced in them all, because wisdom leads them; but I did not know that she was their mother. I learned without guile and I impart without grudging; I do not hide her wealth, for it is an unfailing treasure for men; those who get it obtain friendship with the Dhamma, commended for the gifts that come from instruction.
 
Adapted from Wisdom 7:7-14

No comments:

Post a Comment